Monday, December 18, 2006

Need a good Christmas morning breakfast?





I found a recipe for Baked French Toast on the web awhile back. We have had it several times now & I've changed it around a little to fit our taste. We will likely be having this on Christmas morning and thought we would share the recipe...






Baked French Toast

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (1 pound) loaf of day-old French bread, cut diagonally in 2 inch slices
* 6 eggs
* 1/2 cups milk
* 2 cups half-and-half cream
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3/4 cup butter
* 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons light corn syrup


DIRECTIONS

1. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the
bottom. (I usually have to squish the bread a bit in order to get
it to fit. Sometimes I have two or three pieces leftover that I
cannot fit) In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream,
vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and
refrigerate overnight.
2. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup;
heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture.
3. Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes. (This tends
to spill over for me, so I recommend putting a baking sheet
covered in aluminum on the rack below the French toast while it is
baking)

No comments: