Saturday, March 22, 2008

Snow & Bunnies

Taylor & Ian hugging a snowman they made on the parkway today

We have had more snow in the past couple of days than we have had nearly all winter. The greatest part about getting the snow in March is that it always melts within several days.

Today was a day to enjoy an Easter egg hunt, and make a snowman. The Easter egg hunt was held at the Java Train coffee shop - just down the street from our house. Last year the hunt was outside, but this year the eggs were hidden inside of the shop because of the snow. Half of the shop is currently being renovated, and it was a nice open space that worked out well for the kids. The best part was that grandma was able to join us - and she brought the kids bubbles! We all stayed at the coffee shop after the egg hunt, and we ate lunch together. It was nice to hang out with our neighbors, their children, and my mom.

When we got home, the kids and I didn't even go inside. I snowblowed our driveway, the neighbors driveway, the sidewalk - really anything I could find. I have this sick love for snowblowing. My neighbors don't understand it, but they benefit from it so they try not to make too much fun of me. While I was doing that, the kids were busy playing in the snow, and making sure that all of the snow I had just gotten off of the driveway, ended up right back on it, again. When the snowblower finally ran out of gas, we decided to make a mad dash for the parkway and build a snowman. Panod had to be summoned to come and help us get the middle and top pieces on because they were too big for us to lift up.



And here is the easiest pie recipe I've ever made. I gave it try tonight, and it is sooooo good! The recipe calls for a piecrust that is already baked, so I just grabbed a graham cracker crust.

Sugar Cream Pie

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 1/4 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

  1. Mix cornstarch and sugar. Add 4 tablespoons butter and half-and-half. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy. Add vanilla.
  2. Preheat oven broiler to high.
  3. Pour mixture into piecrust. Drizzle 2 tablespoons butter over top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put under broiler until butter bubbles--watch it carefully as it doesn't take long. Refrigerate.

I got this lovely recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Cream-Pie-I/Detail.aspx

No comments: